Difference between revisions of "Tips & Tricks"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 13:47, 23 December 2019
Open Inspector for Referenced Component
When the inspector is displayed click on the small vertical arrow symbol on the left of a reference. This will open up an inspector for the referenced component. The same action can also be triggered by grabbing a reference (shown in blue) and pressing the secondary action on the controller.
Example: Open the inspector for a referenced material.
Performance Profiling your World
Q: Any more tips on performance profiling techniques? I'm seeing Hex glitch every 5 seconds currently so hoping I can whittle that down more, or if I need to just remove some of the more intensive animations?
A: There is a FPS counter visible when the dash menu is open. There is also a component that shows the network traffic. However next to this there aren't any tools in Neos for that right now. Your best bet is to have a checklist:
1. How many separate objects are in your scene? Is it excessive? (2,000+?)
2. How dense is geometry? (GPU handles a lot, but it can impact FPS)
3. Check # of point lights, shadows are expensive to render, lights with a large range are expensive to render
5. High overhead materials? (IE: displacement on a heavy mesh)
6. Do you use procedural meshes? You can bake them into static meshes to increase performance.
7. Reusing the same a mesh and material increases performance as this enables GPU instancing.