The Neos Mentors is a volunteer program for you as a community member to contribute to Neos in a way that benefits the community and enrich the knowledge of yourself and others. The program is currently managed by Turk. The program is to train those who want to be Leaders, Teachers, Guides, Mentors, or Friendly people in the community and act as a beacon for new or old users to show Neos. I'm sure many of you started on your first day of Neos, unsure of where things are, where to go, or how to use Neos. The tutorial experience is supposed to do this, but as of right now it will be incomplete for some time, and it won't have everything until Neos is "finished". As such, a Mentor is someone who assumes this role to help new users and the community and welcome them to the fold and bridges that gap.
If you wish to apply, please fill out the form here. Please note that your application won't be answered right away as the Mentors are onboarded in waves in relation to concurrent player count. Wave 1 has occurred already, Wave 2 will occur sometime around when the player base hits a higher number then the current. Mentor Application.
What is the Neos Mentors?
The Neos Mentors is a program to recognize but also train those who want to be Leaders, Teachers, Guides, Mentors, or Friendly people in the community and act as a beacon for new or old users to show Neos. I'm sure many of you started on your first day of Neos, unsure of where things are, where to go, or how to use Neos. The tutorial experience is supposed to do this, but as of right now it will be incomplete for some time and it won't have everything until Neos is "finished". As such, a Mentor is someone who does this role to help new users and welcome them to the fold and bridges that gap. Neos Mentors as a program identity wise will probably change over time, but note that being a Mentor means you an active and helpful community member.
Right now Neos is very tight knit, but at a cost information is very tribal based, incomplete, or hard to find. Efforts are being made to rectify this but for a platform with many social elements, sometimes the solution needs to be partially social. So by meeting or talking to a Mentor we can push you in the right direction, or talking to the right people in the community who can help. Think of a Mentor as a living NPC to quote from someone's experience, we just want to show you Neos and all it's wonder because that gift of showing someone to Neos is really precious. Nothing more nothing less.
Anyone can be a Mentor, a Mod, a Team Member, or even a Community Member, many of us were Mentors in the early days before many realized we were going to be Mods or Team Members. By being a Mentor its a way of vetting or giving that you little bit of responsibility to see how you'll handle it. By being a part of the mentors you help Neos in more ways then you can imagine.
Being a Mentor is volunteer based, but also understand this is not a job. You are not obligated to do this all the time. So overall when you become a mentor, the expectations the role has are typically 3 things
1) First, you on your spare time show new users, educate users who may be uninformed, show people in the right direction in moments of confusion, or even show them yourself in an unbiased format showing them all the platform has to offer. There's a bit of excitement for doing a little song and dance for an audience, and it can be gratifying to see people laugh and smile.
2) Secondly, as a Mentor you'll generally be on the forefront of issues that plague new users. Please, let people know about these or identify them. We can't see every little thing that occurs, and by doing this you help Neos out TONS. Because even I can't know or be ready for everything that can happen.
3) Lastly, understand where our flaws are in our guidelines, mentors, mods, team and platform as we try to rectify what you bring to our attention. We try to make Neos to the best it can be, but we also understand we are human and there are limits or issues that we face. We want to address as much as we can if we ever want Neos to be where we all want it one day.
If you understand these 3 points and still want to apply please fill out the form! If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to Turk. After filling out this form, I may be doing a one on one interview with you depending on the results of your application, so after submitting contact Turk directly please to notify him of the next step.
What does the Program aim to Achieve?
1) Filling the gap right now for information for new users, and also educating old users if they maybe misunderstand how neos works, or how certain guidelines work.
2) Allowing us to hear from the community in a more down to earth approach but also address community problems as well
3) Allow us to have folks be honest with us about our problems and what we can do to improve.
What should you expect from a Mentor?
A Mentor generally can have a wide availability of information but they won't be able to answer all questions. So if they cannot answer please do not get upset, they can find someone who can help you. They are as much a community member as you, they just have the ability to be more active and be more aware of what's perceived or who in the community may know whats going on. That's what the Mentors aim to achieve is using the advantage of how the "Tribal Knowledge" or Community Knowledge works right now and spreading it to the rest of the community.
They can help with things like Avatars, Logix, Worlds, Creations, Audio, Guidelines, Account/Patreon Issues, Tutorials, Wiki as a whole.