Humanoid Rig Requirements for IK
When importing a rigged 3D model of a humanoid into Neos, it can be automatically setup with inverse kinematics, which also allows use as a full body avatar. There are certain requirements for the rig to be recognized as humanoid/biped and setup this way:
- Model can be in A-pose or T-Pose. Others might work as well.
- Orientation (forward facing) should be along the positive Z axis. Flipped Z can be detected as well but might contain bugs.
- Quick validation for this: check "Force T-pose" in import settings. If hands are crossed, rotate 180 degrees along the Z (up-down) axis. If one hand is in front and the other hand is in back, rotate 90 degrees along the Z (up-down) axis.
- The bones should follow a naming convention specified below. Rigs from Mixamo already follow this convention.
- If they cannot be found, a text box will appear with a list of bones that could not be found.
- The avatar also needs to have identifiable thumb - fully rigged fingers or at least one bone chain for the thumb and one for the remainder of the hand.
- Each finger must have at least two segments.
- Names are necessary for less than five fingers. For hands with five fingers, geometric detection will be used by default.
- It is highly recommended to add the names to the fingers, as it is possible for the detection to malfunction.
- A minimum of 3 fingers must exist for automatic hand setup to work.
- Adding <NoIK> to the start or end of any bone name will exempt the corresponding bone from the Import process.
- This is useful for bones that may be mis-identified, such as arm twist bones.
- This does not prevent children of the bone from being detected.
A sample Blender rig can be found here: Download from Google Drive.
Bone Naming Convention
The name of the bone needs to contain one of the listed keywords. They're case-insensitive and may be decorated with numbers (e.g. "spine01"), surrounded by special characters (e.g. "rig_spine"), side indicators (e.g. "left_hand", "LeftHand" or "hand_L") or even other words (e.g. "surgeonLUpperarm1"). Bones with bolded names are mandatory and must be present on the rig.
- Hips/Pelvis: hips, pelvis, root
- Spine: spine, chest
- Chest: spine, chest, ribcage
- Neck: neck
- Head: head
- Shoulder: shoulder, clavicle, collar, collarbone
- Upper Arm: upperarm, arm, bicep
- Lower Arm: forearm, lowerarm, elbow
- Hand: hand, wrist, palm
- Thumb: thumb
- Index: index
- Middle: middle
- Ring: ring
- Pinky: pinky, little
- Upper Leg: leg, upleg, thigh, upperleg, hip
- Lower Leg: leg, calf, knee, shin
- Foot: foot, ankle
- Toes: toe, ball, toebase, toes